Friday, July 4, 2014

How to Set and Achieve Goals


Weekends are great to take a breather and think about your goals. Reflect and think about your week, your year, your life so far, what you like about it, what you don't, what changes you can make and set some goals.

If you want to get somewhere in your life, first you need to know where you want to go, before you think about how you will get there. 

Get a nice journal and start writing your thoughts down. Even if you are not sure, start jotting down your ideas, your wish list, or your frustrations.

A good tip I once received when I said "but I don't know WHAT I want", I was told to write down what I DONT WANT. It was a great start, most of us know what we don't want. So write all the things you don't want on one side of the page, then next to each point on the other side of the page turn it into what you DO want. For example "I don't want to run out of breath and struggle like that when I climb that damn hill." will turn to "I want to be able to climb that hill easily and without losing my breath".

Once you have determined what you do want (your first goal, yey!) think about how you will get there. In the case of this challenging hill climb, I know in order to climb it successfully I will need to get fitter. It may mean I will attempt to climb it only part way up, then come back down. I know I'll have to attempt this frequently and try to go a little further each time.

So I make some plans to take action. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings I will climb that hill as far as I can go, and keep doing it, pushing myself that little bit further each time until I achieve my goal.

Sometimes you will write a goal down but have no idea how to get there, or perhaps think it's just not possible in your situation. Don't worry about it, leave it for now. Ask your mind to find a solution, and when ready come back to you. 

Your mind is very much like a computer, it can work on problems in the background. Trust yourself that you will come up with the right answer when you are ready and move on to your next set of goals.

So in summary, this is what you need to do:

1. Reflect and evaluate on your past experiences and jot down your thoughts in a journal.

2. Write down what works what doesn't, what you like and what you don't like about your life, your health, your career, your relationships etc. Write down what you want and don't want.

3. Turn things you don't like into what you would like. Things you don't want into what you DO want. These will be your first set of goals.

4. Think about each goal and what it would take to achieve it. Break it down to what actions you can take, and approximately how long it will take for you to achieve it. Set a date you would like to achieve this goal by. 


5. Most importantly, after you wrote down the plan in your diary, you need to take action. Diarise the activities in your diary and go out and DO IT!
Did you like this article? Subscribe and get free updates, learn more about retail sales, customer service, salon promotions, marketing and running a successful beauty business.


Subscribe

* indicates required
Email Format

Jana Elston will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing. Please let us know all the ways you would like to hear from us:
You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.
We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you need help with your social media or content writing?

Do you need help with your social media or content writing?
Contact me for a price list