Skip to main content

How to Set and Achieve Goals


Weekends are great to take a breather and think about your goals. Reflect and think about your week, your year, your life so far, what you like about it, what you don't, what changes you can make and set some goals.

If you want to get somewhere in your life, first you need to know where you want to go, before you think about how you will get there. 

Get a nice journal and start writing your thoughts down. Even if you are not sure, start jotting down your ideas, your wish list, or your frustrations.

A good tip I once received when I said "but I don't know WHAT I want", I was told to write down what I DONT WANT. It was a great start, most of us know what we don't want. So write all the things you don't want on one side of the page, then next to each point on the other side of the page turn it into what you DO want. For example "I don't want to run out of breath and struggle like that when I climb that damn hill." will turn to "I want to be able to climb that hill easily and without losing my breath".

Once you have determined what you do want (your first goal, yey!) think about how you will get there. In the case of this challenging hill climb, I know in order to climb it successfully I will need to get fitter. It may mean I will attempt to climb it only part way up, then come back down. I know I'll have to attempt this frequently and try to go a little further each time.

So I make some plans to take action. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings I will climb that hill as far as I can go, and keep doing it, pushing myself that little bit further each time until I achieve my goal.

Sometimes you will write a goal down but have no idea how to get there, or perhaps think it's just not possible in your situation. Don't worry about it, leave it for now. Ask your mind to find a solution, and when ready come back to you. 

Your mind is very much like a computer, it can work on problems in the background. Trust yourself that you will come up with the right answer when you are ready and move on to your next set of goals.

So in summary, this is what you need to do:

1. Reflect and evaluate on your past experiences and jot down your thoughts in a journal.

2. Write down what works what doesn't, what you like and what you don't like about your life, your health, your career, your relationships etc. Write down what you want and don't want.

3. Turn things you don't like into what you would like. Things you don't want into what you DO want. These will be your first set of goals.

4. Think about each goal and what it would take to achieve it. Break it down to what actions you can take, and approximately how long it will take for you to achieve it. Set a date you would like to achieve this goal by. 


5. Most importantly, after you wrote down the plan in your diary, you need to take action. Diarise the activities in your diary and go out and DO IT!
Did you like this article? Subscribe and get free updates, learn more about retail sales, customer service, salon promotions, marketing and running a successful beauty business.

Want More Tips Like This?

Subscribe to my newsletter and get free business industry updates, practical guides, business strategy ideas, marketing and social media tips! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Unhappy and Wish for Things to Change?

Not happy in your current situation? Are you stuck in a rut, just plodding along, hoping for the economy to change or for someone to make things better for you? ... Are you laying blame on other things or people for your situation? Is it the landlords fault, is it your customers fault, is it the governments fault? There are certain things we can't control, it will either hail or shine tomorrow, there is nothing we can do to change that. What you CAN control and can change, is how you RESPOND to it, how you think about it, how you feel about it, and what ACTION you take as a result. For things to change, first you must change your internal dialogue, how you think about the situation you are having challenge with, and what you literally say to yourself about it. Language and the words you choose are extremely powerful. The pen is mightier than the sword! People can be moved deeply with words, can be influenced to take action, can be motivated or broken down. So be care...

HOW TO OVERCOME YOUR FEAR OF SELLING

Selling is a skill and a mindset, it can be learned even if it does not come naturally. One of the biggest things that can hold you back from selling more products is, fear of selling. For some, talking to people and making suggestions comes easily, for others that are more introverted, it can be a whole new learning curve. Most beauty practitioners are caring, gentle people and by nature can be an introvert. So to stand out, and put yourself out there can be uncomfortable to downright painful. What's at the core of these uncomfortable, painful feelings is our fear.   FACING OUR FEARS know your fears There are many difficult and frightening times when we have to face our fears. And, the surprising truth is, we all come face to face with our fears eventually. Here are just some examples of what people fear the most: learning a new skill death loneliness being in an unfamiliar place a new job becoming a parent public speaking getting up on stage to perform...

Tips For Dealing With Difficult Customers

We all have to deal with difficult customers from time to time. Something I learned a long time ago, is that if we could successfully resolve issues for an angry or complaining customer, they would most often become our most loyal customer. Customers make judgements on the service and judgements about the business based on how the staff and management respond to a difficult situation. When dealin g with a difficult customer, it is important to acknowledge their feelings, don't ignore, or worse, dismiss their feeling. Typically a complaining customer would have been psyching themselves up for the confrontation, often taking you by surprise.  Imagine the customer blown up like a balloon full of hot air. If you confront your customer, question their judgement, deny or justify your actions, you’ll just be adding more hot air to that balloon. If you keep adding hot air to that balloon, it will eventually explode. The best thing to do is to let the hot air out of t...